Cummins Southern Plains, Ltd.
The ISL is the ideal choice for a broad range of trucks from regional LTL carriers with daycabs, to dump trucks, refuse haulers and mixers. Its performance coupled with weight savings yield a package that is unbeatable.
ISL Engine Applications
• Medium Duty Trucks
• Emergency Vehicles
• Superior Performance.
The ISL's improved performance is gained through its use of superior diesel engine technology.
• Best Fuel Economy.
The ISL continues to have the best fuel economy in its class, even while meeting 2002 EPA certification.
• Low Maintenance Costs.
Greater reliability with fewer parts.
The new Cummins technology now has over 1 billion mile of proven performance. We're so confident in the performance of this engine, we're giving an Uptime Guarantee
• New High Pressure Common-Rail
(HPCR) fuel system maintains high injection pressure regardless of engine speed.
• Pilot fuel injection and revised front gear design combine to make the ISL up to 50% quieter
than the previous model.
• The ISL's Variable Geometry Turbocharger
produces quicker throttle response with less turbo "lag."
• Exceptional Power-to-Weight-Ratio
- Offering 1250 lb-ft of torque, more than any engine in its class. This means an ISL powered vehicle can carry more payload with the performance of traditional 10 & 11 liter engines.
• Improved compression braking with the fully integrated C Brake by Jacobs
• 24-Valve Centered Fuel Injection
– Four valves per cylinder with vertically positioned injectors for improved performance and increased efficiency with reduced emissions.
Heavy-Duty Design Features
– High-strength block and cylinder head, targeted piston cooling, combination full-flow and bypass oil filter and mid-stop cylinder liners.
• Fully integrated electronic controls using Cummins ECM
provide increased performance from all subsystems.
Cummins ISL delivers excellent fuel economy, thanks to its electronically
controlled fuel system with advanced air-handling technology.
• To achieve the best fuel economy with Cummins ISM, spec'ing one of our two SmartTorque
ratings is a great option.
• Cummins PowerSpec
, the online tool that describes each engine feature, gives recommended settings and lets you modify and optimize operation of your Cummins engines.
• Improve mpg even further, get RoadRelay
4, the in-cab monitor that helps drivers improve their own skill level.
• Cooled EGR
low emission technology provides the best fuel economy alternative.
• Fuel economy is still driver dependent. LBSC
(Load Based Speed Control) can provide up to a 1.5% fuel economy improvement.
• Articulated piston
design featuring forged-steel crown and aluminum skirt allows for higher top ring piston, optimizing fuel efficiency.
• Onan's Comfort Guard System
is a totally integrated two-cylinder diesel-powered Onan® generator that powers all your auxiliary power needs. This adds up to a savings of 8.5% in fuel costs every year.
Low Maintenance Costs
Reliability of the ISL has been enhanced.
• The new HPCR fuel system
has less than one-fourth the parts of the previous fuel pump.
A combination full-flow and bypass oil filter
increases piston ring and bearing life and comes standard on all ISL engines.
There’s no need for expensive add on systems, like those used on other engine makes, which increase maintenance costs.
• Lower Operating Costs
- Thanks to long maintenance intervals
combined with a simplified design.
• Oil drain intervals of up to 50,000 miles are achieved throughout CENTINEL
optimized lube system design using the latest in Fleetguard filtration technology.
• Mid-stop cylinder liner
minimizes oil consumption and increases durability.
• Advanced Fleetguard ES System
filters designed for use with the new CI-4 engine oils.
• QuickCheck III
allows you see what your engine readings are so there are no more surprises.
• Water-in-fuel sensor
alerts driver to contamination that could cause performance and durability problems.
• Improved Engine Oil Control
– High capacity lube cooler lowers engine operating temperatures for long life. A robust breather virtually eliminates oil carryover.